The journey of MM Forgings Limited started as Madras Motors Limited in year 1946 as dealers of “Royal Enfield Motor Cycles, UK” in India. 1960’s and 70’s witnessed a boom in the automotive industry in India and all over the world. With the foresight and vision of our founding Managing Director Mr.S.E.Krishnan, we forayed into the forging business with a forge shop in Singampunari (Plant 1), Tamilnadu in year 1974 with a capacity of 780 MT per Annum.

By mid eighties, our forging business expanded steadily and our capacity reached 3000 MT per Annum. Our dealership business was closed in year 1990. In year 1991, we have launched a new state of the art forging facility at Viralimalai, Tamilnadu with a capacity of 3000 MT per annum.
We have rechristened our self as “MM Forgings Limited” in year 1993. MM as Madras Motors stands to show our roots. In year 1994, we had a major capacity addition at our Viralimalai plant(Plant 2) to 12000 MT per annum with funding from our initial public offering and financial participation from major financial institutions. We were certified to ISO 9002:1994 in the same year by NQA,UK.

We consolidated our business during the period of 1994-2002. We have secured the confidence of major automobile manufacturers around the world. We were certified to QS 9000 in 1999. We took over Gears India Limited, Chennai, India in 1999 and established it as our Plant 3. This is a machining unit. We took over this company to cater to the demands of our customers to supply forgings in machined condition.

As the demand rose steadily over the years, we started a roll shop at Padappai (Plant 4) near Chennai in year 2002 to manufacture transmission shafts. In the same year Commenced a wind farm near Panakudi, Tamilnadu for generating power through non conventional methods to hedge burgeoning power costs.

To consolidate our operations, we have shifted our machine shop from Plant 3 to our Padappai facility. We have added forging capacity in this facility by adding 3 press lines in the year of 2004-2005. During these years, we have also invested heavily on our machine shop by adding CNC machines, Vertical machining centers, Horizontal Machining centers, Special purpose machines thereby developing into a full fledged machining facility.

 

Our Company History
 

1945 Incorporated as "The Madras Motors Ltd" to trade Royal Enfield Motors of U.K.
1974 Forge Shop division started at Singampunari - 780 MTPA
1974-90 Forging activities quickly overtake dealership as Plant 1 steadily reaches 3000 MTPA capacity by mid-eighties.
1990 Last dealership of motorcyles (at Madras) closed down.
1991 Plant 2 commissioned at Viralimalai - 3000 MTPA
1993 Renamed as MM Forgings Limited to reflect the company's line of activity.
1994 Expansion of Plant 2 to 12000 MTPA with funding from IPO, IDBI&ICICI
1994-ISO 9002 certified by NQA(now EAQA of UK)
1999 QS 9000 certified by AQA. Take Over of Gears India, Chennai. Established as plant3
2002 Establishment of P4 with Roll Shop at Padappai, near Chennai to cater to the growing demands of customers for rolled forgings.
Commenced Wind Farm at Panakudi (Plant 5) in Tirunelveli District for generaling power.
2003 Shifted Machine Shop to P4 to streamline operations. TPM kicked off at Plants 1 & 2
2004 Major capacity expansion to 30,000 MT with addition of 4 Press lines and expansion of machining lines. Launching High Performance Organization at Plant 4.